Edward E. Wilson, A short biography
Edward E. Wilson, was descended from one of Ticonderoga’s earliest settler’s families. Edward was born at the Upper Falls (Alexandria) on January 8, 1837 the son of Melanchthon and Letitia (Bigelow) Wilson. He had the mechanical ability of his father and grandfather, who were carpenters and builders including boat building. At the age of fifteen he began working with his father in the carpenter’s trade. Later he moved to Wausau, Wisconsin, were he also continued in this vocation. On August 15, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company B, First Wisconsin Cavalry, from Wausau, serving for three years and twenty-two days. On September 7, 1864, Edward was discharged at Cartersville, Georgia.
(The term of the regiment’s enlistment had expired nearly five weeks before that time. Ninety of the men, including Edward, volunteered to stay and help capture the city. Only forty-one of the ninety escaped death during the siege of Atlanta.) Edward was twice wounded at Dalton Valley, one in the right knee and later incurred severe injuries while on a steamboat in Arkansas, being struck by a lever, which broke two ribs and his hip bone.)
Returning to Ticonderoga, on April 7, 1865, Edward married Columbia Simmons, whose parents — Asa and Mary Simmons — had moved to Ticonderoga from Vermont, and they had five children. In 1876 they settled on a partially improved farm near Lake Champlain which had seventy-three acres. Edward built his home and some barns and out-buildings. The land had a good spring and Edward erected a water works system which conveyed the water to a large reservoir that was under cover, frost proof and used a filter. The farm raised horses, many choice breeds of poultry, making a specialty of his flocks of geese and ducks including fancy water-fowls as the Toulouse, Emdens, Mormon, along side common ducks. Ticonderoga Creek (LaChute River) ran through his farm.
In 1889 Mr. Wilson set out a row of elms along East Montcalm Street (today approximately from the Community Building to the NCCC campus) as a civic improvement. He was a member of the Alfred Weed Post, Grand Army of Republic (G.A.R.), of which he was once its Commander. He also served ten years as Inspector of Elections, and served as an Overseer of the Poor for several terms.
Edward E. Wilson, after suffering three years of paralysis died in Ticonderoga September 6, 1903 and is buried at Mount Hope Cemetery with many others of the Wilson family.
The Ticonderoga Historical Society’s library and archives, located at the Hancock House, is a designated research center. The collection includes material of the town, Adirondacks and Lake George and Champlain Region. Family search, school projects, or seeking general information please visit our facilities. We are a private, member funded, and a non-circulating library. Donations welcomed.