Pages Navigation Menu

Perpetuating American Traditions for Future Generations

Genealogical and Historical Research

196421_197817956907661_169991_nThe history of the Adirondack Mountains and Lakes regions of northeastern New York is perpetuated through our non-circulating archival collections. Photographs, manuscripts, artifacts, newspapers and books are available to researchers far and wide.

Ticonderoga history is carried on in our collection of photographs, manuscripts, artifacts, and books. The Hancock House has a treasure of genealogical and local history, from census information to obituaries to complete newspapers. The library consists of some seven thousand volumes principally on New York State. It is especially strong in material on the Lake Champlain, Lake George and Adirondack sections. The books do not circulate but are carefully catalogued and are available to the public for use in the building. There is always an attendant at hand to assist with any research.

Here are some of the many resources found at the Hancock House libraries:

  • Ticonderoga Sentinel newspaper editions, dated from 1874 to Oct 1982 (on microfilm)
  • Vermont Vital Records 1760-1870 (on microfilm)
  • Obituaries for Clinton, Franklin & Essex County NY from 1999-2002
  • Births & Marriages for Clinton, Franklin & Essex County NY from 1999-2001
  • 1925 Census for Clinton County, NY
  • Inventory of the Burt Garfield Loescher Papers, 1940 – 2002. “Robert Rogers’ and the French and Indian War”
  • Extensive regional newspapers
  • Vital Records for NY, New England, Canada and other
  • Select regional census records
  • Cemetery records
  • Maps and architectural drawings
  • Photograph collections in a number of formats
  • Books and Journals specific to businesses, churches and schools
  • Military records
  • Supplemental materials relative to New England

Our research library also has material from New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts and Connecticut.

The Research Library is open during scheduled open hours during the season and by appointment only January through mid-May.  The parking lot is on the north side of the Museum.