The Cobblestone House
Thirty years ago over 100 Ticonderoga structures were researched in preparation for review by the New York State Historic Preservation office to ascertain “if any of the individual structures, or groups of structures in a district, might be eligible for nomination to The National Historic Register.” A considerable amount of this research was performed at the Hancock House’s research library.
This is the first of series of proposed articles which we will be publishing from time to time based on this researched material.
“The Cobblestone House,” located at 53 Montcalm Street, a sub-division of the original Lt. Roger Kellet 1764 English land grant and of lands once owned by Joseph S. Weed, is a bungalow style residence that stands “amidst a scattering of early to late nineteenth century wood frame residential structures” in the Weedville section of Montcalm Street. Because the building material utilized in construction is unique in this neighborhood, the bungalow is a particularly prominent structure at the edge of the downtown Ticonderoga’s business district.
The building is constructed entirely of cobblestone, with fine architectural features of this material used as its belt course, chimneys and projecting flower boxes. The cobblestone arcaded porch is of special note. Although cobblestones have been used in other homes in the Town of Ticonderoga, this building is constructed entirely of this building material.
The major entry on the Montcalm Street façade is centered beneath a projecting entry porch with a gable roof featuring wood shingled gable ends. The twelve light, paneled door is flanked by two, ten pane sidelights. To the right of the entry porch is an arcaded, recessed porch featuring a secondary door to the living space within. This twelve light door is identical to that of the main entry. Also featured on this arcaded porch is a pair of six-over-one, double-hung, sash windows with vertically laid cobblestone lintels. Three adjacent six-over-one, sash windows identical are repeated on the left corner. Additionally, two pairs of six pane windows are utilized in the dormers which flank the gable end on the second story of this elevation.
On the east façade, (picture right) two pairs of six-over-one windows with cobblestone lintels are utilized. On the west façade (picture left), in addition to three individual, six-over-one sashes, there are two casement windows.
There are no related outbuildings; however, there is a low cobblestone wall which enhances the front of the structure.
The structure was sited on a lot of approximately 90′ street side and back with east and west distances of 140′ feet. Well known local stone masons, Frank T. and Rollin E. Clark, purchased two vacant lots in 1921 from a well known local attorney Frank B. Wickes. By December of 1921 the foundation was finished and they had started on the structure itself. Following a bank foreclosure in 1934, the house was sold at public auction to its former owner, Frank B. Wickes. Later his son, Francis A. and his wife Marian R. Wickes purchased the house from his father.
After the Wickes family sold the property at one time it was used as a “Bed and Breakfast” by Jeff and Susan Wells and was known as “Stone Wells.” Today it is owned by a New York City family.
The complete 1984 historical properties research records report, with later additions, are available in are research library. If you have additional information on this property; or, would like to share similar information on other properties you have an interest in, please contact us. Old and new photographs of homes and places of business are welcomed.